Welcome to our comprehensive guide to Decomposed Granite, a popular choice for homeowners looking to enhance their landscape design. This natural material is not only aesthetically pleasing but also versatile and affordable, making it a go-to option for various outdoor projects. In this post, we'll delve into the essentials of decomposed granite, its benefits, and how you can use it to transform your outdoor space.
What is Decomposed Granite?
Decomposed Granite is a type of naturally occurring, weathered rock that breaks down into finer granules over time. It's typically composed of small granite pieces that are 3/8 inches or smaller and resembles a combination of gravel and sand. Known for its durability and earthy tones, DG offers a rustic yet elegant appeal to any landscape.
Benefits of Decomposed Granite in Landscaping
- Versatility: DG can be used in various applications such as pathways, driveways, patios, and garden beds.
- Durability: It withstands weather conditions and provides a long-lasting surface.
- Low Maintenance: Once settled, DG requires minimal upkeep, making it ideal for busy homeowners.
- Eco-Friendly: Being a natural material, it's an environmentally friendly choice for landscaping.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to other landscaping materials, DG is relatively inexpensive.
How to Use Decomposed Granite in Your Landscape
- Pathways and Walkways: Create natural-looking paths that blend seamlessly with your garden.
- Patios and Outdoor Seating Areas: Use DG for a stable and flat surface that's comfortable for seating.
- Driveways: A decomposed granite driveway is durable and can handle the weight of vehicles.
- Garden Beds: Use it as a top layer in your garden bed for an attractive and weed-resistant surface.
- Erosion Control: Its compact nature helps in preventing soil erosion in sloped areas.
- Prepare the Area: Clear the space of weeds and debris and level the ground.
- Apply a Weed Barrier: Lay down a weed barrier to prevent growth under the DG.
- Spread the Granite: Distribute the DG evenly and compact it for stability.
- Watering: Lightly water the area to help the granite settle and compact.
- Regularly rake the surface to keep it level and neat.
- Replenish the DG layer as needed to maintain its appearance.
- Control weeds around the edges for a clean look.
Decomposed granite is a fantastic material for various landscaping projects, offering durability, versatility, and aesthetic appeal. Whether you're looking to create a serene garden pathway or a robust driveway, DG provides a practical and stylish solution. By incorporating these tips and ideas, you can enhance the beauty and functionality of your outdoor space with decomposed granite.
Rock and Sand Products
Rexius provides a wide variety of decomposed granite is many shapes and sizes. Check out the collection.